Thursday, March 14, 2013

Kahlua Ice Cream (no ice cream maker needed)


I have always wanted an ice cream maker for as long as I can remember. I browse through kitchen stores quite frequently, but none of the machines ever seemed to scream "Take me home!" until recently. I found it on the clearance shelf for $12. It was tiny and it must have been the most bare-bones model known to man. But it was mine. 

So we brought it home, did all the prerequisite hot soapy water washing, read the instructions three times (I am a fine print freak) and got started on a simple vanilla recipe. About 10 minutes in, we ran out of ice. I'm still not sure how that's even possible since the thing barely makes more than a pint and I had plenty of ice on hand. Thank goodness we only live a few hundred feet from a convenience store or I may have cried. It must have gone through half of a party bag of ice by the time it was finished. It looked good, so we said a quick prayer and tossed it in the freezer to "firm up overnight". I got up early the next morning to sample our hard work. It was terrible. I can't even explain it, it was that bad. It thinned out and changed color and tasted like freezer burnt vanilla milk. 

The bad news? The ice cream maker is now an oversized paperweight.
The good news? I have now devoted my life to creating ice cream that does not require an ice cream maker. 
The best news? This Kahlua ice cream is probably the easiest and absolute best ice cream ever and I cannot wait for you to try it!


Kahlua Ice Cream
Makes about 2 cups

What I use:

  • 1 c. heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 c. sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 Tbsp. Kahlua
  • 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder

How I do it:

1. Pour the heavy cream and condensed milk into a medium mixing bowl.



2. Add the Kahlua and sift in the cocoa powder.



3. Beat the mixture on low until it starts to thicken up.



4. Switch to medium and beat until the beaters leave tracks in the mixture and you have soft peaks, about 5 minutes.



5. Place in freezer safe containers and freeze overnight. You could also make it in the morning and freeze it all day so it's ready after dinner. Take it out a few minutes before you need it.



Share it with everyone you meet. Or no one at all. It's a tough decision.

See that little container on top? That's for my mom. But only because I really really love her.

The family says:

  • There's alcohol, so none for the kiddies.
  • Andrew said it is really good but he doesn't obsess over it like I do.
  • I drool over this. I dream about this. I want to take a bath in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to know what you think about what you've read here today. Lucky for us, someone left this box here for just that purpose...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...